May 21, 2012

Beautifying Beirut

Tempers are running high and the pressure is mounting!, according to my son this morning, who was trying to convince me that he had no school due to yesterday’s event when a sunni sheikh & his convoy somehow did not quite halt at an army check point, which resulted in his untimely death.  
Well sorry, but uhhh, no, you are going to school. And so off he went, like a good boy. His sister went as well, but I got a call from her school around noon that ‘due to the uncertainty of the situation’ I was to pick her up again. Things are quiet in my part of town, and as such, a peaceful post, even though other areas may not be as peaceful as mine.



Some years ago, the government made an attempt to stop cars from parking on the sidewalk. This has not been completely successful (here and here)  , but it’s been better than it has been in a long time. The short stubby black and yellow bollards  are all over town.

I came upon this initiative to ‘beautify’ the ugly bollards into something more colorful. My guess it is connected to the store nearby. I love the idea. 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gave me an idea about beautifying Beirut and even old neighborhoods ,it's through the brick house system but I doubt they'll do and that costs a lot for each building or house ,plus the buildings are not all symmetrical or proportionate in shape in Beirut but it would've made the houses nicer

Loulou said...

Cute idea! Thank you for sharing! We all need positive vibes :)

www.bollardsoflondon.uk said...

Beautiful bollards and lovely to see them decorated so well, I like to call it 'boll-art'...

John...